January 2019 Student Fair 2019 Theme: “Triumph and Tragedy in History”
Subject Chosen: “Jehovah’s Witnesses and the Holocaust”
Debary Elementary School, Debary, FL
Get a closer look at the seven photos of Elijah Vigil’s project
How I Chose My Subject
I chose Jehovah Witnesses and the holocaust. Why I chose this topic is, because I’m a Jehovah Witnesses! How I discovered this topic, my mom saw a book on the holocaust at our schools book fair. My parents thought we should get it. So we did, and when I saw Jehovahs Witnesses in the book I was puzzled! My mom started telling me how Jehovahs Witnesses were persecuted and tortured. I was getting interested in it. And a few days later we decided we should do it on Jehovahs Witnesses and the Holocaust.
So onto how this poster was made! So first of all, after I finished school we went to a store and purchased the products needed for this poster. It took at least three quarters of our day, but we got it done! Now onto how we found the research. So we got the book at the book fair like i said, and we purchased a bunch of books online, watched videos, we went on websites, for example, the United States Holocaust Memorial website. and munch more!
Now onto how this project relates to this theme. It was a tragedy because, he wanted to kill and exterminate the brood of Jehovahs Witnesses. Now onto how it was a triumph, how this was a triumph was SOME Jehovahs Witnesses died, but not all Jehovah Witnesses died. Therefore, Hitler DIDN’T win he wanted ALL Jehovah Witnesses to die. Even if they all died they never gave in to Hitler and the Nazis. They didn’t sign the sheet saying they would serve Hitler and didnt say hiel Hitler which means only salvation is from Hitler. They stayed faithful to Jehovah. Wolfgang Kusserow was exsecuted but stayed faithful to Jehovah and wrote a letter that encouraged him and his family and many people including me.
Here are some important facts about Jehovah Witnesses
- An estimated 10,000 Jehovahs Witnesses were in prisoned.
- There are over 8.57 million Jehovah’s Witnesses worldwide today.
- The was an estimated 1,500 Jehovah’s Witnesses died in the Holocaust. It is unpredicted the precise number of the Jehovah’s Witnesses death because the Nazis tried to hide what they did and burned paperwork.
- The Upside-Down-Purple-Triangle identified them as Jehovahs Witnesses.
- Jehovahs Witnesses were the only ones that could sign a form that said, “I Give Up All My Faith To Hitler” which could let them leave the concentration camp.
- Some Jehovah’s Witnesses kids were taken from their families. Like Simone Liebster.
In conclusion, I’m proud of being a Jehovah Witness. They triumphed because Hitler didn’t break their faith. I hope I can be as brave as them.